AMD graphics

Home Forums Spout Support AMD graphics

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  leadedge 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

ravensc
    Participant

hi,
    I tried spout on a win7 x64 with amd hd 7670m graphic card,
    the spout tray app list
    spout tray

but every sender causes a blue screen when starting. (atikmag*.sys or similar)
    when set to shared memory in processing, the sender starts fine, but in resolume the reciever does not recognise the sender.
    updated drivers to latest from amd.

is this amd driver issue?
    thanks!

leadedge
    Keymaster

That’s a nasty one.

It is almost certainly a driver issue, but there are several things that could be causing it and I would not know without tracing it through. There is a clue, because the SpoutTray utility works OK, so it is successfully initializing DirectX and the gl/dx interop extensions, so the cause must be elsewhere.

A little internet search shows that this is a known issue and there are several solutions posted, but I do not know whether these would be reliable. Maybe you can explore this further.

The first thing that would be useful to know is the hardware you are using. Is it desktop or laptop? Has it dual, switchable graphics or multiple graphics cards?

Post your system specs and maybe that will give a further clue.

The memoryshare sender will not be picked up in Resolume because fully compatible hardware has been detected. These plugins have been updated so that memoryshare is enabled for Optimus machines, but for compatible hardware a texture share sender is expected.

ravensc
    Participant

this is a dell vostro 3560 laptop with integrated intel HD 4000, and amd radeon HD7670m 1GB switchable
    (i7, 8GB ram)

I am not familiar with 3d programming, so I dont even know what so search for.

when manually assigning the intel graphic card to the applications, spout tray reports the same information
    and starting demo sender x64 results in appcrash:
    Problémaesemény neve: BEX64
    Alkalmazásnév: SpoutSender64.exe
    Alkalmazásverzió: 0.0.0.0
    Alkalmazás időbélyegzője: 535b521e
    Hiba – modul neve: StackHash_5a94
    Hiba – modul verziója: 0.0.0.0
    Hiba – modul időbélyegzője: 00000000
    Kivétel – eltolás: 0000000080481e10
    Kivételkód: c0000005
    Kivételadatok: 0000000000000008
    Operációs rendszer verziója: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Területibeállítás-azonosító: 1038
    További információk 1: 5a94
    További információk 2: 5a94021812498f0199436bc8a47a87b1
    További információk 3: cc6c
    További információk 4: cc6caef1ba50495a51cbca4980506c73

the bsod minidump and sysinfo are here : http://palffyzoltan.hu/?url=pic/spout_bsod.zip

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  ravensc.

leadedge
    Keymaster

Thanks for this, but I can’t immediately see any thing that stands out as a possible cause. I will need to examine the dump file more closely.

BEX64 might be a clue. Google “BEX64 AMD” or “BEX64 ATI”. Maybe look at this :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/problem-event-name-bex64-application-name/1125d6bf-6481-4fe8-9b6d-a67e7f611fc6

Again I think it is driver related but We need to narrow down the cause.

First we know that SpoutTray works, so that tells me quite a bit. It is possible that the problem is specific to the demo sender/receiver.

First assign the NVIDIA card instead of the Intel one and then could you please try :

1) The 32bit demo sender

2) The Openframeworks demo programs
    ..\Spout\SPOUTDLL\Example\Openframeworks\bin\ofSpoutSender.exe
    ..\Spout\SPOUTDLL\Example\Openframeworks\bin\ofSpoutReceiver.exe

3) The Cinder demo programs
    ..\Spout\SPOUTDLL\Example\Cinder\binaries\CinderSpoutSender.exe
    ..\Spout\SPOUTDLL\Example\Cinder\binaries\CinderSpoutReceiver.exe

The receivers will not start, but if they do not cause a crash we will narrow it down to either the a 64bit problem or a problem with the Windows demo programs.

It is possible that the Visual Studio 2010 runtime is needed, but usually all this does is report a missing dll.

64bit Windows : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

ravensc
    Participant

1. the 32bit demo sender bluescreens with AMD graphics.

2. ofSpoutSender When assigned to AMD card , first appcrash , then restarts and bluescreen: atikmdag.sys
    assigned to intel: appcrash: – then restarts after a while and shows the graphic and is listed in spoutpanel.
    Intel appcrash info:
    Problémaesemény neve: APPCRASH
    Alkalmazásnév: ofSpoutSender.exe
    Alkalmazás időbélyegzője: 535f2edf
    Hiba – modul neve: ig7icd32.dll
    Hiba – modul verziója: 10.18.10.3412
    Hiba – modul időbélyegzője: 52e04a54
    Kivételkód: c000001d
    Kivétel – eltolás: 00014c76
    További információk 1: ac38
    További információk 2: ac387466df76c7f98f034212b24686d7
    További információk 3: 23ca
    További információk 4: 23cafe810bbb46d87a7f0938a06eb3ea

the ofSpoutReceiver first appcrash then restarts , the intel appcrash info is the same for both.
    then on AMD no bluescreen, appcrash info:
    Alkalmazásnév: ofSpoutReceiver.exe
    Alkalmazás időbélyegzője: 534d32c2
    Hiba – modul neve: atiadlxy.dll
    Hiba – modul verziója: 6.14.10.1300
    Hiba – modul időbélyegzője: 53507b29
    Kivétel – eltolás: 00076da2
    on another start:
    Alkalmazásnév: ofSpoutReceiver.exe
    Alkalmazás időbélyegzője: 534d32c2
    Hiba – modul neve: igdumdim32.dll
    Hiba – modul időbélyegzője: 52e04932
    Kivétel – eltolás: 00002080

If I start Resolume with intel graphics, the receiver gets the graphics.

3.CinderSpoutSender When assigned to AMD card , first appcrash , then restarts and bluescreen: atikmdag.sys
    assigned to intel: appcrash: – then restarts after a while and shows the graphic
    the intel appcrash info:
    Alkalmazásnév: CinderSpoutSender.exe
    Alkalmazás időbélyegzője: 5361d96f
    Hiba – modul neve: igdumdim32.dll
    Hiba – modul időbélyegzője: 52e04932
    Kivétel – eltolás: 00002080

visual c++ 2010 runtime installed is 11.0.50727 both x86 and x64

leadedge
    Keymaster

I spent some time looking at these reports. This is more complex than I can help with directly and is related to drivers and driver libraries. I am afraid that this appears to be a widespread problem and I am not sure what the reason is or what the solution is.

I have looked at the possibility of altering the FFGL plugins to start in memoryshare mode, but cannot do so without affecting the normal operation. However, it is possible to provide a set for you specifically compiled for memoryshare.

To confirm that this would work on your machine, please run the memoryshare sender/receivers.

..\Spout\DEMO\Win32\SpoutSenderMemory32.exe and then ..\Spout\DEMO\Win32\SpoutReceiverMemory32.exe

..\Spout\DEMO\x64\SpoutSenderMemory64.exe and then ..\Spout\DEMO\x64\SpoutReceiverMemory64.exe

Do these work without problems?

Then if I will look at creating the plugins for you.

ravensc
    Participant

Memory share senders both work without problems, @60fps and resolume is able to recieve via spoutCam.

Memory share ffgl version will be useful for everyone, with older hardware without support for gl/dx interop extensions.

leadedge
    Keymaster

OK – please try this update :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rtb6x067zd9o9jh/AADzxnwIfLFawvIgFeaIzaxea

You will find separate plugins for exclusively memoryshare

SpoutSenderM.dll
    SpoutReceiverM.dll

These can be used at the same time as the textureshare plugins, but are intended as replacements where texture sharing is not supported at all.

The limitation is that there can only be one memoryshare sender at a time. The synchronization is designed for one sender/receiver pair at the same time. You can run more than one receiver, but you will probably find that the framerate will be halved.

These can be distributed in the general release but need practical testing first, so please try them on your machine and report back whether they work or whether you find any problems.

I am interested to know the practical resolution you can achieve at reasonable frame rate.

ravensc
    Participant

They work as expected.
    the demo senderM shows 60fps, in resolume I can run 2 recievers @30fps 3 at20fps, 1920×1080 resolution.
    to comapare, I can run 7 fullhd layers of the resolume benchmark composition both noise and clean @30fps.

when I start 2 senders the recievers stop working and if I start one reciever resolume drops to 10fps with black screen.
    restarting the sender and resolume does not help, windows restart is needed to get them work again.
    maybe a sender could check if one is allready running in memoryshare mode and then refuse to initialize?

leadedge
    Keymaster

That’s good, so it seems that these are worth while to include in the the distribution.

I am impressed with the performance you are getting. With the amount of data transfer happening I wonder how it would affect performance generally. But overall it seems you have something that is useful.

Two senders will overwrite the same area of memory. The writer is only waiting until the reader has finished reading, and not whether another writer has finished writing. Multiple writes to the same memory will produce unexpected results. The maximum size available is 1920×1080. Larger than that will crash.

It is not possible to recognize whether a second writer or second reader is present with the present synchronization system. Multiple readers will work, but will starve the writer, so it will slow down.

There are methods to keep track of multiple readers and reduce writer starvation. There are also other methods, but it can become complex. Since memoryshare is a backup I have not spent time on it.

If you want to stretch your mind, have a look at :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readers-writers_problem

Also read about the Producers-consumers, Dining Philosophers, Sleeping Barber and Cigarette smokers problem.

leadedge
    Keymaster

Also before you ask, memoryshare is RGB only.

This reduces the amount of data being transferred but more importantly allows use of Windows Bitmap format which provides a standard header for the reader to determine the size of the image before it is transferred.

reset77
    Participant

Hi!!

i just wanna say THANKS, SPOUT IS AMAZING

im glad i found this post, i was not able to get Resolume Sender in the SpoutCam till i found this post and used the New files “SpoutSenderM”

after i try with this Memory sender, its all good now, i can get resolume to anyother app with SpoutCam, this is amazing

you should provide both senders and receivers in the installation so people can try both and see wich one works,

It Took me a while to figure this out… so it will be good to have both senders out of the box, will be looking forward for more info, a little tip is that before with normal “SpoutSender” it had a blink of the streamed image before going again to TV static, with “SpoutSenderM” it works really good

Thanks a lot!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  reset77. Reason: mispelling
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  reset77.

leadedge
    Keymaster

That good to hear.

Memoryshare is limited because you can only have one sender/receiver pair at a time, also the speed is much less. So the ideal solution is to get texture sharing working on your computer if it is possible.

We know that Spout works with AMD graphics and although it seems that with some computers it might not, the fact that you saw a brief blink of something in SpoutCam is a hopeful sign. Also for you it is not crashing as above.

So first of all make sure your graphics driver is updated to the latest. Then let us know the make and model or your computer as well as the operating system and driver version.

reset77
    Participant

Hi!!

Thanks a lot for the good and fast support really interested in this project

My machine is a laptop Alienware M15x
    AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5850
    atiumdag 14.301.1001.0 (Catalyst 14.9) / win8 64

For the moment the memory sender was just what i need, to send video from Resolume Arena 4.1.11 to Visikord, but when i tried to open live video in from SpoutCamera on Visikord software, it crashes with the following error:

error acces violation at xxxxxxxxxx (tried to read from xxxxxxxxx) Program terminated.

so what i had to do is to use software for virtual webcam “SplitCamera” to detect the video from spout camera, and open the live video in viskord from SplitCam virtual webcam instead of SpoutCamera

this way is working really good, but this splitCamera software consume a lot of CPU

What could cause this error in Visikord??

Thanks!!!!

leadedge
    Keymaster

OK – well the first thing is that SpoutCam is a 32bit DirectShow filter and will not work on a 64bit operating system. But I tried the 32bit Viskord demo and it still crashed with SpoutCam source. I don’t know the reason. Also I tried “SplitCam” and it just gives static for SpoutCam.

So I would say that you have a unique solution working. I would not expect much performance loss by using SplitCam. The main cpu load will be with the memoryshare data transfer. If you keep the frame size down it should be OK.

The AMD driver is the latest. Do I understand correctly that you can install a Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M in your machine? I can’t guarantee anything, but maybe that is one possibility for full Spout support. If you could find somebody with such a computer maybe you could test it.

Memoryshare mode has become difficult to support and may be discontinued, so stick with what you have for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.