Spout for Blender

Home Forums Spout Announcements Spout for Blender

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  marjoram 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

nyom
    Participant

So yeah i guess the dev of this plugin is just waiting until blender 2.8 fully releases and then we hopefully get eevee in combination with spout.
    This would be just so great. If i can do something to make this happen earlier just let me know. I’m a developer for c#, i can test, i can yeah just do stuff, if you guys want me to.
    Btw. I’m german, so like martin i guess 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  nyom.

maybites
    Participant

The issue with EEVEE on NVidia cards (GTX 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 Ti and probably others) has been fixed. Thanks to the EEVEE master Clément Foucault himself (https://developer.blender.org/rB5e626e76645905e71182a9379f0bf86ae3010203).

nyom
    Participant

The plugin gots still realy hard performance issues.
    If I turn on the plugin i go down to like 5 fps on all systems, ranging from mx150, gtx 970, quadro p2000 to 1080ti.
    So there is no point in realtime tranfering even a cube with a bit wireframe emiting in 5 fps anywhere.

maybites
    Participant

I made a quick test with the EEVEE Race-spaceship example (https://download.blender.org/demo/eevee/race_spaceship/race_spaceship.blend) running on an RTX 2080 Ti (admittedly toprange):

Playback the animation streaming via spout I get

18fps with EEVEE. (60fps without streaming)
    60fps in solid view.

the openGL(blender) -> C++ -> Python -> Python(Spout-Wrapper) -> C++(Spout) > OpenGL bridge is obviously not the most efficient.

but the real hog is the offscreen render to texture code, which is entirely inside blender:

a quick test with (https://docs.blender.org/api/blender2.8/gpu.html#rendering-the-3d-view-into-a-texture) showed

27fps with EEVEE

we might benefit from the google summer of code project openXR (https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/User:Severin/GSoC-2019/Proposal) further down the line, but at the moment thats the best that can be done.

if we can show the potential with this plugin we might be able to convince the developers to put more love on this topic, but I would wait until 2.80 is finally released.

maybites
    Participant

and there is another issue: obviously blender has to render two renderpasses, one for the viewport, and one for render to texture.

A quick test with a new Main Window, creating a simple animation for playback and setting the framerate to 60 fps shows: the framerate drops to half if two windows are open.

so we need to find a way to set the render-to-texture settings independently from the viewport, something I haven’t figured out yet.

any suggestions are welcome..

cheers

martin

leadedge
    Keymaster

Sorry for the forum post rejections. Huge spam problems at the moment and real posts are being rejected too without any notifications. I will try to keep on top of it.

marjoram
    Participant

Hi @maybites, thanks for your amazing work! I’m having a hard time installing the plugin though.
    I’m using Blender 2.79b (64 bit) on Windows 10. I have the spout folder in an addons folder, and the Python SpoutSDK-library in a modules folder, as per the instructions. When I try to activate it in the preferences menu, I get the following:
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    _init_.py line 111
    enable : bpy.props.BoolProperty(
    ^

Any idea what I can do to fix it? Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if I can supply any other information to help. Thank you!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.